Office of the Assessor
Renewal of Exemptions
All 2021 annual exemptions will be required to apply on-line – you can apply on-line through the Chief County Assessment Office Smart E-Filing Portal at www.assessor.lake.
Vernon Township Assessor’s Office has the paper form Illinois PTAX-340 and we will help you fill it out and then file it online for you.
Please contact my office should if you have questions. Vernon Township Assessor Office - 847-634-4602.
Senior Citizen Assessment Freeze Information
Property owners age 65 and older who have total household incomes of $65,000 or less are encouraged to apply for the Senior Citizen’s Assessment Freeze. While applications were not required for this program in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, applications WILL BE REQUIRED in 2021. All applications must be submitted online by July 31, 2021
This senior freeze program may reduce your property tax bill by freezing the taxable equalized assessed value of your property, which impacts the total tax you pay. It does NOT freeze your taxes, but it protects you from tax increases due to rising property values. Even if you have applied for and been granted the freeze exemption in prior years, you must renew your application annually.
All Lake County residents who had a Senior Homestead Exemption in 2020 will receive a letter in the mail in February with information about the senior freeze program.
Who Should Apply
To apply for the senior freeze exemption, the applicant must:
- Be 65 years or older
- Have a total household income of $65,000 or less for 2020
- Have owned and occupied the home on Jan. 1, 2020 and Jan. 1, 2021
How to Apply:
In 2021, all applications must be submitted online through the Lake County Portal or for assistance you can come to the Vernon Township Assessor’s office and we will help you complete the PTAX-340 form and submit it for you on-line. You will need:
- A copy of your 2020 tax return, as well as your property PIN number or address.
- If the property is owned in trust, proof of beneficiary of the trust may also be required.
- Driver’s License in Current address.
To apply on - line via portal -
- Go to the Chief County Assessment Office Smart E-Filing Portal at assessor.lakecountyil.gov
- Log in to your account, create a new account, or log in as a guest
- Click “Available Filings” and choose “EX – Senior Citizens Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption”
- Click “Begin Filing”
- Enter the tax year, 2021, and your property PIN, and follow the instructions
- Note that while you do not need to submit proof of income, the Chief County Assessment Office may ask for additional information from you when reviewing your application.
The Vernon Township Assessor is your liaison to the Chief County Assessment Office. The Township Assessor is an elected position (4-year terms). The assessor must be certified by the State and meet continuing education requirements.
The job of the assessor is to value all taxable parcels of property within the township in a uniform manner, so all properties are valued at the same approximate assessment level. This creates a fair share spread of the real estate tax burden. The assessor has no say or control of the tax monies requested of any given taxing district.
It is the responsibility of the assessor to pick up any new property annually which is not on the assessment roll. This includes new homes, commercial buildings, industrial buildings, finished basements, decks, patios, pools, garages, sheds, barns, etc.
We receive copies of building permits from 11 municipalities and also the county for unincorporated areas.
Villages within Vernon Township
Villages wholly or partially located with Vernon Township:
- Buffalo Grove
- Indian Creek
- Lake Forest
- Long Grove
- Vernon Hills
2019 Real Estate Tax
- First installment due: June 8 & August 7, 2020
- Second installment due: September 8 & November 9, 2020
Other Services Provided by the Office of the Assessor
- Assists in filing Senior Homestead Exemption - Bring Driver's License in current address and if property is in a trust - bring a copy of the trust to our office.
- Assists in filing Senior Freeze on-line or you can use the Senior Freeze on-line portal Lake County Portal. For assistance using the on-line tool refer to the Senior Assessment Freeze Application Guide for E-Filing.
- Distributes literature concerning assessments and tax bill processes
- Provides information requested for Assessment Appeals
- Monitors and grants Homeowners Exemption for owner occupied residential properties
- Requests Tax Bill address changes (PDF)
- Assists in filing Agricultural Valuation
- Monitor qualifying properties for Home-Improvement Exemptions ($75,000 full market value or $25,000 assessment reduction)
- Assists in determining tax bill amounts
- Provides information in how to obtain Names and addresses for properties applying for variances
- Requests Commercial Building Vacancy Affidavits (PDF)
- Offers free Notary Public for Vernon Township residents